Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day Insight...

I don't know that I will ever fully understand Valentine's Day. It is supposed to be a day to let your sweetheart know how much you love them, so why do so many of the gifts in which you might give to your significant other make them either fat, drunk or smell better? I mean what are we trying to say here, and why are we so honored to recieve these gifts?? Take candy, for example. You get a box of chocolates, which of course, you are going to have gone within a day or two only to put on a few more pounds you will eventually have to work like hell to shed, right? What your significant other is actually saying, is..."I love you. Eat this candy I give to you with love that you will become the size of a house so no one else will ever want you and I won't have to worry about you cheating on me." Or, how about wine, for instance. What your loved one might be telling you is, 'here, drink this wine, and then I at least have a chance of sleeping with you tonight, or better yet, you'll become comatose and we won't have to talk at all!!' Perfume? "You stink. Try this." Flowers, 'at least there will be SOMETHING pretty in the house, seeing as how it isn't you..."

And then of course, are the single ladies who are sad because they don't have a "valentine" to give them these offensive gifts! You girls should be forming some sort of sisterhood and partying your asses off for being smarter than a lot of us!! Trust me, there are negative messages being sent all over the world on this holiday and you are lucky to not be a part of it!

I'm not trying to completely dismiss this day, I'm sure that it is very important to a lot of people, it just seems like maybe I'm looking a little too far into this entire thing..maybe it is insanely romantic, and since I've been married for eighteen years, it's just kind of lost significance over time...for me, anyway.

However, my husband has made sure that I will be both fat and drunk by February 15th. I love you too, baby.

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment